Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Embrace The Paste

So...I'm pale.

For many, fitting that description poses a problem, especially when the summer months roll around...and they will go to great lengths to avoid it.

My daily moisturizer. SPF protection! Doesn't feel greasy and smells good :) 


I completely understand the desire for that perfect sun-kissed tan. But at what cost?

Let me break it down for you:

Tanning Beds

DO NOT GO NEAR THESE. Seriously. You might as well call them "aging beds" because that's what it's going to feel like a few years down the road. Not to mention all the health risks involved (SKIN CANCER!!). So you have a killer tan  for a couple months...want leathery skin for the rest of your life? I think not.

Under The Sun 

This is okay in moderation. As humans, we need the sunlight. It makes us happy :) Just be sure to slather on (no skimping) some SPF 30 before soakin' up rays. Check and make sure that your sunscreen protects against UVA and UVB rays (full spectrum), otherwise harmful rays could be getting to you. And you don't want that. Wearing sunscreen every day (rub it on any exposed skin) regardless of how sunny it is out is a good habit to get into.


**REMEMBER: Reapply throughout the day. Especially important if you're sweating or in the water.


Self Tanner


PLEASE resort to self tanner before heading to a tanning bed. I don't know how much I can reiterate this, but tanning beds = NO GOOD. The downside of self-tanner is it sometimes makes you look...orange. And fake. So read labels carefully if applying it yourself (i.e. don't buy the shade recommended for "medium/dark" skin colors if you have naturally light skin). I don't know how often you should self tan, because I don't know if any of the ingredients in self-tanner are potentially harmful. But it sure beats baking.


Yes, I know I'm going against the grain. And you may not consider pale to be "cool" but your skin will thank you down the road. Trust me.


To soothe your conscience on this matter:

























I think these pictures have proven my point. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder, so just because you think you only look good tan doesn't mean others feel the same way. So don't sweat it.

EMBRACE THE PASTE and...stay lovely ;)

xo,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment