Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Dinner Diaries: Healthy Carbonara

We're at it again!

Today was one of those days where I was having the worst time trying to find a recipe to make for dinner. I searched just about every site possible, and was this close to caving and just making some good old-fashioned french toast. Because who doesn't love breakfast for dinner?



But we had no bread in the refrigerator. There goes that idea!

Thankfully, there's Pinterest. I have a board called "Food" where I pin recipes I find that sound good, in case I want to make them later. That's where I found my Healthy Carbonara pin. And let me tell you guys, I think this is the best one yet.

Both Chloe and I love us some carbonara. So when I see that in association with the word "healthy," I'm on board.


Chloe sautéing the onions
The fixin's
Chicken that we cooked separately that we will put on top of the pasta
Tossing the noodles in the sauce
About to serve
Ready to eat!
The end result
We altered the recipe, like we always do.

Recipe changes:

-Used whipping cream and milk because we didn't have half-and-half (and used more of it to make extra sauce)
-Added chicken to the dish to give it more substance (put cajun seasoning on the chicken)
-Used pre-cooked bacon
-Didn't add peas because we ran out of them this week

Review

-Chloe: "I thought it was delicious. I added a little salt at the end too 'cuz I thought it needed it. I added parmesan on top (just sprinkled it for taste). Would have been healthier if I'd had all the right ingredients. Wish I had peas!"

-Kat: "I thought it was very good. Would definitely eat it again."

-Taylor: "YUM!! This stuff was freakin' tasty! I'm a big fan. I think this is the best dish we've tried so far. Double thumbs up. I also wish we had peas--guess we'll add that next time! Mmmm mmm good."


So there you have it!


BTW--if you know any great recipes that you think we should try, message us or leave a comment below. We're always looking for good eats at the dinner hour :)

Stay lovely!

xo,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment