Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hunger For a Hair-do

Fuchsia lip color: Revlon lip butter in "Lollipop"

Inspiration can come from the most unlikely places. Today, the idea to put my hair in a braid came to me subconsciously--and thank God it did! I was getting ready: putting on my makeup, brushing my teeth, when all of the sudden I pause. I stare for a moment at my reflection in the mirror, tilting my head to the side. Something's off...and that's when I notice it: my hair. 
I nudge my phone with the back of my hand. The screen illuminates in response.
"Cwwaap!" I mutter through a mouthful of toothpaste. I haven't left myself enough time to do my hair.


I rustle the mangy ginger locks with my fingers. Should I comb it? Shouldn't I comb it? If your hair is anything like mine, you know this can make or break a hair day. If I comb it, it will be less rattled. But it will also puff up like a frizz lion. 
What to do...what to do. I bite my lip. Taylor, think fast! You don't have time to dilly dally! 

Jeggings: Target

But I'm a big believer in the idea that a "look" can change your attitude. It dictates how you carry yourself the whole day. It affects your mood. Obviously, today my mood is 'comfy.' Otherwise I wouldn't have put on this sweater on.

Blue button-down sweater: Tommy Hilfiger (on sale)

Alright, so I don't have time to straighten my hair. I certainly don't have time to curl it. Not that either of those tasks ever takes me horribly long, but when you're down to mere minutes, each second is precious. And I'm not willing to be late today because of a stupid hair-do.

Checkered purple shirt: J. Crew (sale)

That's when it hits me: a braid! I gather my hair to one side and begin spindling three strands around my fingers. When I've finished, I spray a quick spritz of Clinique Happy, waving it around in the air with my hands.
There. 
Simple, easy, and I'm out the door in no time.

Boots: Franco Sarto (discounted)

It isn't until I'm in the middle of my English class that it dawns on me. Katniss! I finished reading The Hunger Games Sunday night and images of trees, tributes, and Tracker Jackers have been making intermittent appearances in my mind throughout the day.



I silently thank Suzanne Collins for mentioning Everdeen's signature 'do repeatedly throughout the book. I never envisioned myself drawing style inspiration from a girl who's trying to survive in the forest...but I guess inspiration really can come from anywhere!




As for the rest of this look...I found the plush blue sweater hanging on the left wall of my mom's closet. I don't usually find myself plundering through the neat row of button-down jackets, but the vibrant hue catches my attention. 
I fling the surrounding coats to the side, revealing the new specimen. It hangs there, gently teetering from side to side.


Pursing my lips, I pull it out to examine. Something has drawn me to this sweater, and I'm determined to wear it. But what to put underneath? I only had to ponder a few seconds before I knew.

Crescent moon necklace: Pangaea

And I was right. Chloe's purple checkered shirt marries perfectly with the blue. Quite satisfied with myself, I draw a dark fuchsia balm over my lips. Hmmm...but the outfit still looks bare.


Crossing diagonally across the room, I pluck my favorite necklace off my mom's dresser. A small moon pendant encrusted with tiny, glittering stones dangles from a dainty gold chain. It was just the finishing touch I needed.
To complete the preppy style, I pull a pair of sturdy riding boots over my socks.
Now, I am ready.

Chloe (left) Red jeans: American Eagle Outfitters

When I'm going for a certain "look," I usually model it after something or someone specific. But maybe my subconscious plays a bigger role in my fashion choices that I think.
So...who inspires your day-to-day style?

Photos taken by Chloe with an Olympus PEN camera

What I'm listening to: Jessie J – Who You Are



Stay lovely, and may the odds be ever in your favor ;)

xo,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment