Monday, April 29, 2013

All That Glitters Is Gold


UPDATE: 5/24/13 Chloe's prom look was featured on TeenVogue.com!!! 
Check it out here: http://teenvogue.com/prom/2013-05/reader-prom-style/?slide=33


When deciding what dress I wanted to wear for my senior prom, I had two colors in mind: red or sparkle. Yes...I just referred to "sparkle" as a color. And as you can see...

...sparkle won!!! I had previously scoured a few stores for dresses, but quickly realized it was kinda really freakin' expensive. All of the dresses that caught my eye were in the $300-$800 range... Gulp.


Prom is one of those occasions where you buy a dress, wear it once, only to find yourself out of one big chunk-a change.




I was feeling guilty about spending a lot of money on a dress, but this was my one and only PROM (okay, I did go to prom last year, but since I was only a junior I recycled a dress from homecoming in Minnesota) I didn't want to sacrifice how I looked that night! That's when *cue lightbulb moment!* it hit me: 
Rent The Runway 





Personally, I never thought I’d be able to wear a Badgely Mischka dress in my life. Unless, of course, the designer duo wanted to donate one to me...which is a dreamy, but highly unlikely occurrence ;) Rent The Runway made it possible for me to wear a beautiful gown without having to shell out my life's savings.


There are a few downsides to using Rent The Runway, though. First, you don’t get to keep it. So rather than investing in a dress that you MAY be able to wear or sell in the future, you get to wear it once and away it goes…whisk! Which you will find is a very sad moment if you use this service. 




Second, you don’t get to try it on before you order it. However, the site does allow you to order two sizes in order to eliminate anxiety that your dress may not fit, but in reality, you still can't help but worry. 




Two days before prom, my worries were confirmed. Neither of the two dresses I ordered fit! *Cue MAJOR FREAKOUT* It was too late to call Rent the Runway that night, so I had no idea what was going to happen. Would I have to make a last-minute trip to the mall? Were all hopes of a magical senior prom shattered? (Yes, I realize this is a bit dramatic, but it was scary!)




My mom was convinced there was no way I would be able to wear my dream dress to prom and prepared me for the all-too-likely possibility that we would have to go find a new one. I really appreciated her trying to calm my anxiety...haha




Luckily, when I talked to a RTR stylist the next morning, they said they would be able to send me a different size! It arrived the day of prom--just in time. Major crisis, averted ;)




Prom itself was a blast. Anyone who knows me knows that I love to dance. Anywhere and everywhere, music or no music, you can bet I'll be bustin’ a move. So naturally, I danced the night away and celebrated a wonderful senior year with all my handsome and beautiful friends!




Oh--I almost forgot to mention my shoes! Which in girl-prom-world is a total no-no. 




I don’t think I’ve ever talked about my feet on this blog yet...which I know probably sounds weird, but you'll understand my dilemma in a second: I have really big feet. My family likes to poke fun and tell me I have troll feet or hobbit feet. I realize I probably just planted an image of big hairy feet with overgrown toenails, but I promise it's not that bad!




The fact is, my feet are a size 9.5-10. They are wide and have no arch, so heels are rarely a good option for me. Although I have been wearing heels to many Chasing Lovely shows recently...an achievement I take much pride in :)




On any other occasion you'll likely find me in flip-flops or converse. Prom was no exception…


Red Chuck Taylor All-Stars: Off Broadway Shoes


Annnd the sneakers were a hit! Everyone loved them. I got comments like, “that’s so you” and “man I wish I would’ve done that!” I was happy, my dancing feet were happy, so to anyone bold enough to rock Chucks, I highly recommend it!

Hope you are all having a happy spring!!


Stay lovely <3

-Chlo

No comments:

Post a Comment