Friday, May 3, 2013

Recipe for Success: Banana Oatmeal Pancakes


Lately I've been trying my hand at cooking a little more, because as some of you may know, I'm not the most exquisite chef. I'm also trying to reduce my dairy and meat intake, so if I want a vegan meal, I have to learn how to make it! 


The hardest part is finding time to look up vegan recipes, and on top of that, having the ingredients to cook said recipes. Following vegan pinners on Pinterest helps (as I can just "repin" what looks yummy in my feed), but it's still a challenge because:

a) I don't have a lot of the substitutes (and at this point am still too scared to try meat substitutes...haha)

b) Some of the vegan ingredients are hard to find (and can be expensive!)

c) I have to like the food that's being cooked in the recipe (aka it really sucks that I don't like salad, hummus, etc...can't repin those! ughh)

Breakfast and lunch are the easiest meals for me, because I generally eat fruits, grains, and veggies. Dinner is a little more intricate, but I did make a successful Pasta Primavera from Forks Over Knives!

This morning I was a little tired of eating the usual cereal, oatmeal, or fruit. I wanted to switch things up. So I headed over to my handy-dandy "Vegan Breakfast" board on Pinterest, and after a little skimming, found a recipe for Banana Oatmeal Pancakes

It was perfect. I had 3 super ripe bananas, as well as all the other ingredients it called for (which, as I've previously stated, is very rare and quite miraculous!). Eyeing the recipe, I knew my Magic Bullet blender wouldn't hold the whole batch, so I cut it in half. 

Combine all ingredients except banana and blend
Add banana, blend
I used a Magic Bullet to blend my batter

Pour batter onto heated pan
Watch it get bubbly
When it gets even bubblier, flip it!
Should look golden once flipped
Ta-da!


Vegan Banana Oatmeal Pancakes

  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 ripe banana
  • a dash of vanilla
  • a few shakes of cinnamon


1. Combine oats, flour, baking powder, sea salt, almond milk, vanilla and cinnamon and blend thoroughly
2. Add the banana to the mixture and blend
3. Heat up pan, grease if necessary (I use an Orgreenic non-stick ceramic fry pan), and pour batter
4. When it starts to get really bubbly, flip the pancake
5. Top with peanut butter or pure maple syrup

The original recipe didn't call for vanilla or cinnamon, but since these are banana oatmeal pancakes after all, I thought it might add a nice touch of flavor :)

Since I had 3 ripe bananas, I actually added 2 bananas into my batter mixture instead of one. I'm a huge fan of bananas (I literally eat a banana every day), so really gauge it based on your banana enthusiasm ;) The extra banana probably made my pancakes more dense, so if you like yours lighter and fluffier, keep that in mind before adding another.

I topped my pancakes with maple syrup and they were pretty delicious. I wasn't really in the mood for peanut butter (which is kind of a shocker since I'm obsessed with peanut butter...) so maybe next time I'll switch it up and try that!


If you give this recipe a go, let me know what you think!

Photos shot with an iPhone 4S

What I'm listening to right now: Lifehouse – Broken

xo,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment