Monday, October 28, 2013

Talk It Up Like Yeah

lace top: Aerie // high waist jean shorts: American Eagle Outfitters // sneakers: Chuck Taylor (DSW)

CONFESSION: I love high-waisted shorts. And basically anything that falls under the 80's throwback category. If it's labeled the "trend that needs to end...like, NOW" there's a good chance I'm into it. But what did you expect? After all, this is the girl who once wore a big fluffy Yeti coat to fitness class. And to all the guys out there who are dumbfounded at why a girl would ever wear 'ugly mom jean diaper shorts', let me clear your confusion once and for all: WE DRESS FOR OURSELVES AND OTHER GIRLS. Not you! Sorry if I burst your bubble.

I've got to send out a big ol' thank you to Laura for gifting these fabulous shorts to me. I've been wearing them like crazy! Just ask Chloe. LOVE YOU, you fashionable little style bug <3

I realize that in most places (even Nashville) it is too cold to wear shorts...unless you are fortunate enough to live in Florida/California or a tropical island like Hawaii. But back when these photos were taken it was wasn't. 
I'm not that crazy ;-) But I might be crazy enough to pair shorts with tights now that I think of it...


Meanwhile, in a small apartment in East Nashville...

It's late, but not too late. With two feet placed firmly on the linoleum bathroom floor, I grit my teeth together, brushing vigorously. I should probably clean that, I think as I examine my spotted reflection in the mirror. But the thought is fleeting, and by the time I'm finished I will have forgotten until I return to face myself and am unrecognizable behind the collective dust.

I'm trying to be better about going to bed earlier...but you know how that goes. I've convinced myself that going through the motions of my regular nighttime routine will trick my brain into shutting off. Maybe...maybe not. But it's worth a shot.

I hear the TV chattering in a nearby room. "Celebrities always need to look good," a young female eagerly announces, "it's their job." I snort, amused.

Flicking the light switch, I drag myself into bed. Each limb feels unmotivated, resisting like a deadweight. I lay on my back for a while, flip over, then turn onto my side. The muscles in my back are pulsing, reminding me that my efforts at better posture come with a price. 

Cool air drifts in from the cracked window. I listen to the leaves rustle faintly in the distance. Fall. Fall means I can drink tea without feeling stupid about it (as a singer, I'm constantly downing Throat Coat in the scorching heat of summer). I can't wait to pull out my mustard colored tights, my black Calvin Klein traveler hat, comfy sweaters...fingerless gloves...my beat up revolution booties. Everything about fall screams love. And happiness. And no worries.

As my mind drifts down chilly back roads, I happen upon a realization: after fall comes winter! A wave of excitement bubbles up inside of me. Ever since I can remember I've anticipated Christmas...the tinsel hung cheerfully in department stores, old claymation re-runs that really never get old, gliding down snowy streets as the radio croons, "Have yourself a merry little Christmas..." 

And OMG COOKIES. I can't believe I almost forgot about that (I'm partial to peanut butter blossoms). Christmas is basically the one time each year that it is societally acceptable to reenact your childhood. So basically, I milk it for all it's worth ;)

Right now I'm in the middle of reading Catching Fire, the second installment of the Hunger Games series. I'm liking it a lot more than the first. Anyone else super freakin' sdlkjflskjdfslk excited for the movie? NOVEMBER 22, BABY!!! Can't come soon enough. I'm determined to finish the book before it comes out. I'm also eagerly awaiting the arrival of The Hobbit: Part 2 a.k.a. THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG! In a fan girl biting-my-nails-and-hyperventilating sort of way. MUST. SEE. IN. 3D.

I've also been working on songs lately that I'm really excited about. I feel like I'm coming into my own as a writer, with a sense of direction and purpose. A clear vision. You can check out our latest tunes on SoundCloud and YouTube. And thank you to anyone who's ever been so generous to leave a comment or email or text us about our songs. I love hearing what you think and appreciate it more than you know.

Lots of stories to tell! I can't wait to share them with you :)

xo,
T

What I'm listening to: Lorde – Tennis Court

Photos taken by Chloe with an Olympus PEN camera

No comments:

Post a Comment