Monday, April 30, 2012

Bagel Pizzas: a yummy way to get rid of unwanted bagels

We've all had shopper's guilt. We buy something only to realize that we don't want it. Well, some time ago I made the dumb decision to buy bagels. I was at Sam's Club, and they were running a deal. Stupid deals.



What was happening in my brain: Ooh! Bagels! I'm bored of what I've been eating for breakfast every day. Why don't I switch it up and have a delicious toasty-on-the-outside, warm-and-soft-on-the-inside bagel?

It seemed like the perfect idea. Except when I brought them home and had one the next morning, it didn't cook all the way through and the bagel was too thick. Nothing like the Bruegger's-tasting bagel I was anticipating.

Being the VERY-AGAINST-wasting-food person that I am, this upset me. What was I going to do? I had two packages of bagels that I had no desire to finish!

I had to get rid of them somehow.

Then a much-better-than-the-first-idea popped into my head: BAGEL PIZZAS!!

Because pizza always makes everything better.

So here's what you'll need:

1. Bagels
2. Mozzarella cheese (I used the finely-grated stuff. Melts faster)
3. Tomato Sauce
4. Pepperoni (optional)

These are SUPER easy to make.

-Cut the bagel in half down the middle. My bagels were pre-cut, so I skipped this step.

-Toast the bagel slightly in a toaster oven. This will make sure that your bagel will be cooked all the way through when you put it in the oven the second time

-Take the bagel out of the oven, and top with sauce, cheese, then the pepperoni. It's up to you how much of each ingredient you want to top it with.

-Set the bagel on aluminum foil, and place in the toaster oven. Check back regularly and take out of the oven when the cheese is melted and the pepperoni edges look a little crispy. Again, how long you keep it cooking is based on your preference. I think I left mine in there for 10 minutes, maybe slightly more.



Before they went into the oven.



In the toaster oven!





Out of the oven...TA-DA!

Bagel pizzas are not something you should eat on a regular basis. Think of them as more of a treat that you can indulge in every once in a while...like if you're celebrating finishing finals and trying to get rid of bagels :P

Tip: To keep bagels from going bad (or any bread for that matter), store them in the freezer. That way you won't feel pressured to finish them, and can go longer periods of time between eating bagels ;)

Stay lovely!

xo,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment