Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Raindrops on Roses

Taylor and I are unashamed outfit repeaters. It partially comes from the fact that our clothes budget is limited, but it also comes from our no-fail shopping motto: If you don't love it, don't buy it.

Leopard peplum top: Target (Mossimo) - Black jeggings: American Eagle Outfitters

I often find myself wanting to settle for items that are less-than-fabulous...I get drawn in by the little red sale sticker or by a trendy piece that was definitely not designed with me in mind! Taylor has to be the little voice of truth that snaps me back into reality when situations like this occur.


Cream crop top: Urban Outfitters - Black skinny jeans: American Eagle Outfitters

Before taking off for the summer, we moved into a very small apartment in Nashville with small closets, so we decided to do some spring cleaning. We were finding too many clothes that we still hung on to that we only wore because they were hanging there...


It seemed that every other shirt we pulled out, we would have to have what we called an "honest moment" with each other that involved conversations like this:

Me: *holds up shirt with an innocent smirk* "I love this shirt, Taylor! It's so comfy—I can't get rid of it. "
Taylor: "If the only word you use to describe it is comfy...give it over."
OR
Taylor: "I think I'm gonna keep this one"
Me: "No you're not."
Taylor: "But I still wear it!"
Me: "Well you probably shouldn't be wearing it."
Taylor: "But—"
Me: "TAYLOR. Honest moment."


So now we try to keep situations like that from even occurring in the first place...who wants a bunch of different clothes that are all okay, but nothing you completely adore? If you don't want to wear it over and over and over (like Taylor's shoes in the following photo..how many times have you seen those in previous blog posts?! haha and I'm sure you haven't seen the end of 'em either!) then it's not worth your money. Or time. Time is money, people.

Black cage heels: Prabal Gurung for Target
We've come to find that we'd rather have 10-15 pieces that we wear consistently and feel great in, than 30-40 pieces that we purchased with this excuse and that excuse. Plus, you don't feel as guilty if you have to spend a little more on an awesome look, because you walked away from 5 other shirts that cost 10-15 bucks a pop! Quality, not quantity my dears!


That being said, we haven't turned our backs on sale items. In fact, I don't remember the last time we bought something at full price (except for some workout tanks my dad got me at Wal-Mart the other week for like 3 dollars each...HA!) But anyhoo, our mom has engraved bargain-hunting into our souls.

Black patent leather pumps: Madden Girl

We shop differently depending on the store. Knowing that Urban Outfitters tends to be a bit pricier, we always head straight for the sale section (while still keeping an eye on the rest of the floor for something fabulous...it eventually has to make its way to the sale section, right?). I found my top (pictured above) hiding in the sale section! Woohoo $19.99!


Taylor's shirt came from our no-fail shopping destination: Target. We basically peruse everything in the clothing department there, because their normal prices aren't bad, plus they have regular sales and a great clearance section ;)


Black Coach wristlet purse: a gift

Since purchasing the leopard peplum top, I don't think a week has gone by where Taylor hasn't worn it. It's her favorite top (just look at the number of times it's popped up on her instagram...) I was shocked that it hadn't been in a blog post before now!


Another item I find myself repeating ALL THE TIME: necklaces. Taylor has noticed my obsession with cross necklaces, but I do have another favorite. Whether it is because of the incrediblethoughtfulgorgeous friend who gave it to me or because it is just plain awesome, it's my #1 choice when wearing gold accessories!


Gold "Fearless" necklace: a gift


Black Jeggings: American Eagle Outfitters

Leopard Peplum Top: Target 

Black cage heels: Prabal Gurung for Target

Quilted black wristlet purse: Coach (a gift)

Cream Peplum Crop Top: Urban Outfitters (Pins And Needles)

Black skinny jeans: American Eagle Outfitters

Black Patent Leather Pump: Madden Girl 


We would love to see some of your favorite, most repeated looks or those items that you've had to have your own 'honest moment' with (; Share them with us on Twitter or Instagram and be sure to tag us @ChasingLovely!

Stay lovely!

xo, Chlo

Photos shot by Chloe & Taylor with an Olympus Pen camera

What I'm listening to: Charlie Worsham – Could It Be

P.S. - Hope you are enjoying our refurbished site, we worked real hard on it! We are now Pinterest-friendly for any of you who are as obsessed as I am :P

No comments:

Post a Comment